A result of the quick walkabout in downtown Oakland’s Lakeside Apartments District after visiting the former Oakland YWCA 1 block over. Within this historic apartments district are historic luxury hotels, clubs, and apartment buildings, some in the Art Deco design, that sprung up due to the location’s proximity to the streetcar lines.
(click through the photo for 700px view)
Many of these historic apartments are now rent-controlled studio apartments standing next door to new market-priced luxury loft high rise buildings. The foreground Cliff Apartments were built in the 1920’s while the white Art Deco Hill Castle Apartments in the back was completed in 1930.
Previous post from this shooting day:
- Red Barn, Wind Turbines, Long Exposure
- Concrete Stairwell, Natural Light, Long Exposure
- Panes of Glass, Arched Portal, Fall Colors
- Dedicated to Nobler Womanhood, Brick and Concrete Wall
- Abandoned Administration Building, Hercules, Monochrome
- Turtle Doves, Power Lines, Monochrome
- Rosette Windows, Arches, Monochrome
- Berkeley City Club, Main Ballroom Doors, Monochrome
- Chapel of the Chimes, Sunlight, Shadows, Columns, Monochrome
EXIF data: Nikon D7000, center weighted metering mode, 55mm, ISO 100, 1/25 sec, f/11
Lakeside Apartments District, Cliff Apts, Hill Castle Apts, Monochrome. Oakland, California. November 04, 2012. © Copyright Steven Tze – all rights reserved.