Sutro Tower and the hills and homes of San Francisco snuck into this shot of the Model Industries Building on Alcatraz. Frankly, I cannot remember if it was my intention to get the tower into the composition, but this was one of four consecutive photos I snapped while on the ferry heading over to the island.
(Click through the image for the 700px view)
For the night tour of Alcatraz, instead of the usual counter-clockwise route during the day arrivals, the ferry approaches the Alcatraz dock in a clockwise direction closer to both Industry building, the water tower, and the power plant tower.
When we first left Pier 33 towards the island, I was prepared to shoot the entire trip using the 35mm prime lens, but decided to switch to the 55-200mm zoom at least for the ride there. If I had shot this with the 35mm, the tower would have been only a speck in this photo and a very inconsequential element overall. During post, the multi-toned hills and homes littering the hills in the foreground really stood out as a point of interest. A follow-up photograph of just the layered hills and the tower from Alcatraz vantage point is a must for the future.
Listing of photograph(s) from this day’s San Francisco daytrip:
- Alcatraz, Lighthouse, Chapel Windows
- Hyatt Regency San Francisco, Atrium, Elevator, Monochrome, Long Exposure
- SF Ferry Building, Bay Bridge, 49ers Colors, Long Exposure
- Alcatraz Hospital, Glass Vacoliter, Monochrome
- Golden Gate Bridge, Fort Point, Sunset, Seagulls
- SF Newhall Building, Terra Cotta, Uplights, Long Exposure
- Alcatraz, New Industries Building, Broken Panes
- San Francisco Skyline, Treasure Island, Long Exposure, 3-shot Panorama
- SF Palace of Fine Arts, Rotuna Dome, Underside
- Alcatraz, East Gun Gallery, Michigan Avenue, “A” Block
EXIF data: Nikon D7000, center-weighted metering mode, ISO 100, 100mm, f/4.5, 1/250 sec
Alcatraz, Model Industries Building, Sutro Tower, Monochrome. Alcatraz, San Francisco Bay, California. January 26, 2013. © Copyright Steven Tze – all rights reserved.