A few more blog entries about Alcatraz before I run out of acceptable photographs. This northern view of the San Francisco Bay is through the ruins of the Officer’s Club (aka Social Hall) set afire in 1970 during the Native American occupation of the island.
(Click through the image for the 700px view)
The Officer’s Club was the center of social activities for the prison employees, families, and guests. The building housed a bar, dance hall, 2-lane bowling alley, library, and dining hall among other amenities.
I tried various crops on this photograph mainly to see if I should or should not remove the upper sky region. I ended up keeping the upper sky and the left window. The left window because it provided a piece of land for the tip of Angel Island to connect to in the viewer’s mind. There was originally a partial right window, but it did not seem to provide an anchor for any other elements of the photo. The upper sky was left since a composition with just two windows and lot of decayed concrete was just too dark tone-wise.
Listing of photograph(s) from this day’s San Francisco daytrip:
- Alcatraz, Lighthouse, Chapel Windows
- Hyatt Regency San Francisco, Atrium, Elevator, Monochrome, Long Exposure
- SF Ferry Building, Bay Bridge, 49ers Colors, Long Exposure
- Alcatraz Hospital, Glass Vacoliter, Monochrome
- Golden Gate Bridge, Fort Point, Sunset, Seagulls
- SF Newhall Building, Terra Cotta, Uplights, Long Exposure
- Alcatraz, New Industries Building, Broken Panes
- San Francisco Skyline, Treasure Island, Long Exposure, 3-shot Panorama
- SF Palace of Fine Arts, Rotuna Dome, Underside
- Alcatraz, East Gun Gallery, Michigan Avenue, “A” Block
- Alcatraz, Model Industries Building, Sutro Tower, Monochrome
EXIF data: Nikon D7000, center-weighted metering mode, ISO 100, 35mm (prime), f/11, 1/50 sec
Alcatraz, Officer’s Club, Angel Island, Richmond, Monochrome. Alcatraz, San Francisco Bay, California. January 26, 2013. © Copyright Steven Tze – all rights reserved.